Friday 24 December 2010

Little Fockers

Ben Stiller, Robert de Niro, Teri Polo, Jessica Alba, Owen Wilson, Dustin Hoffman, Barbra Streisand, Blythe Danner, Harvey Keitel. Directed by Paul Weitz (American Dreamz, About a Boy, American Pie). Written by John Hamburg (I Love You Man, Along Came Polly, Safe Men), Larry Stuckey (Elling, no really, it's a film).

So, Meet the Parents was pretty good, right? Ben Stiller was great as always, and it had the lovely sense of discomfort that the best fish-out-of-water farces do. Even de Niro was okay in it, despite the fact that he is nowhere near as good at comedy as he is at drama (remember his crying jag in Analyze This? Just embarrassing. Not funny at all.)

And then Meet the Fockers was fine, too. It suffered from a lack of Owen Wilson, but Dustin Hoffman was his usual magic self and Barbra Streisand was quite good too.

But this. This. Am I the only one who thinks this looks absolutely dreadful? I'm only going by the trailer (natch) but really? Is that the best of the film? There was nothing else trailer-worthy? Oh dear.

I'm sure this'll show up on free-to-air TV some time over the next year and I'll watch it out of curiosity. Maybe. But otherwise I'll be skipping it. I'm sure there are way better comedies out there.



No comments: