Friday 24 December 2010

Gulliver's Travels

Jack Black, Emily Blunt, Jason Segel, Amanda Peet, Billy Connolly, Chris O'Dowd, TJ Miller, James Corden, Catherine Tate. Directed by Rob Letterman (Monsters vs Aliens, Shark Tale). Adapted from the book by Jonathan Swift (from my home town) by Joe Stillman (Planet 51, Shrek, Shrek 2, King of the Hill, Beavis and Butthead) and Nicholas Stoller (Get Him to the Greek, Yes Man, Fun With Dick and Jane).

I'm not sure what to make of this, to be honest. I like Jack Black. There, I said it. I do. I'm just not sure how I feel about mixing Jack Black with a 17th-Century children's classic, although he was fantastic in Peter Jackson's King Kong, possibly because of the director.

Then, I check out the trailer. First act looks reasonable enough, it's a combination of the original set-up from the book and the female lead's set-up from Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, and lo, Jack finds himself a giant in the land of the tiny Lilliputians. And then he plays table soccer with some, so presumably he brings them back to America with him. Or something.

Despite the great supporting cast (James Corden excepted, of course), I have a terrible feeling about this one. So I'm not going to see it. Not that I'd have seen it if I'd thought it would be good, mind you, but at least this way I can feel like I'm making some sort of stand.



No comments: