Thursday 2 December 2010

The Switch

Jennifer Aniston, Jason Bateman, Patrick Wilson, Juliette Lewis, Jeff Goldblum, Todd Louiso. Dir. Josh Gordon and Will Speck (Blades of Glory). Writers: Allan Loeb (Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, 21, Things We Lost in the Fire), from a short story by Jeffrey Eugenides.

I like Jennifer Aniston. She seems really nice, and she's a talented and courageous actress (she plays a 47-year-old in this, she's 41). Her films though, especially when she has the lead, are completely dreadful. Like J-Lo since about 2002. Or most of Sandra Bullock's films, ever.

In this one, she plays a 40-year-old who has a kid by a donor, but later her best friend... wait a goddamned minute! This isn't a Jennifer Aniston film! This is a Jason Goddamn Bateman film!

There is hope after all.

So, Jason Bateman is best friends with our Jen, gets drunk at the party she has to celebrate her artificial insemination (WTF?!) and... well, watch the trailer. So Jason finds out later he's the da.

I really hope this is good. Jason Bateman is a wonderful actor who really deserves a bit of lead success after his great turns supporting various other people in the likes of Up in the Air, Hancock, Mr. Magorium's Thingummy, Juno and so on.

And yet I'm suspicious. Aniston is top-billed, yet the trailer seems clear - Jason Bateman is the lead. Well, which is it? I'm going with Bateman, because I'm an optimistic soul.

The writing-directing team that made Blades of Glory is responsible, and while I haven't seen that (yeah, yeah, I know, you knew that already, right?) I've heard good things.

I won't be breaking down any doors to see this, but frankly it's the best bet I've seen in ages for a proper early-relationship date movie that might actually be good. The trailer cut might well reflect the movie (great first act, so-so second, rubbish third), but that's just me being cynical.

Also, "the most unexpected comedy ever conceived": Really?



No comments: